Windward Beta Program

To truly succeed, we need your help.

Why you?

Because no one knows the products better than you, our customer. To deliver the best, most comprehensive software possible, we need to understand how you’re using our products today and how you anticipate using them tomorrow.

Your opinion counts at Windward.

It always has.

In this spirit, we’re launching our new Windward Beta Program as a way to standardize our testing and feature collection. As a member of this program, you’ll have exclusive access to the Windward Beta community and features portal.

Together we’ll pave the Windward road-map.

How can we improve the newest version of Windward Studios Products?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Support for .NET Core (at least on Windows)

All new development in our company is .NET Core, and we would like to continue using Windward Reports.

From our correspondance it sounds like the problem is finding the license key. I can tell from experience that figuring out what config file to use and exactly how to specify the license key is also a pain for your users. I suggest, as someone else has also done, that you let the application supply the license key instead of trying to find it.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  .NET Engine  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Improve PPTX Layout Functionality

Create ability to specify which PPTX controls reside within a forEach loop, absolute positioning of controls and images, and simple layout functionality that allows looping without using tables.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Windward Version 13  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Dynamically colour table cell backgrounds in Report Designer

Hi

We would like the functionality to dynamically input coloured table cell backgrounds in our template. The colours we use are pulled dynamically from our data source and are defined by our clients, therefore the conditional formatting of table cells is inadequate as the conditional formatting always requires a hard-coded value to be present in the template to compare against.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  AutoTag  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello reporter!

I have started the review process for this idea and will update this ticket when we decide weather to incorporate your idea into the software. This request seems similar to me to other requests for the ability to specify property values using template variables. I will update this ticket again when I have more information on when this functionality could be expected. Thank you for your idea!

Adam Austin
    Product Manager

4. Name cells populated by forEach tag

Make possible to name cells populated by forEach tag according to a given pattern.
    The pattern might include a prefix or a suffix with an item index to get a unique cell name.
    Additionally allow to name entire range populated by forEach tag.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  AutoTag  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Expand date parsing to other standard formats

Currently, AutoTag is able to parse dates stored in ISO format (e.g. "2017-09-12T00:00:00.000Z" stored with the toISOString JavaScript method) without any additional input from the user beyond specifying a date output format and type. However, it throws an error when other standard formats are used, such as that generated by the toDateString JavaScript method (e.g. "Tue Jan 12 2017 00:00:00 GMT-0000 (UTC)"). A workaround may be to spell out the format in the Input attribute on the tag, but this is cumbersome and not user-friendly. It would be better if AutoTag natively parsed standard formats other than ISO.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  3 comments  ·  AutoTag  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Create functionality in Java Engine to skim document template variables/nodes

As per Request #12304, only AutoTag is able to skim the variable paths from the document template. Java Engine does not have a method/functionality to retrieve all the variable paths ('Data/books/authorName'). WIll you be able to cater this request in the Java Engine? Thanks!

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Windward Version 13  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Refresh Tags

What if when a document was generated from a template instead of replacing the Tag with the data have the data replace the Tag friendly name. Then the generated document could be passed around modified and when all the changes are agreed upon then run the template again to get the latest values from the data source.

Recently I've had several prospects ask for this kind of functionality and this is the only idea that I could think of that might allow users to refresh their data in generated documents.

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  AutoTag  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. create a report comparison tool

This would compare two reports to see if there are any differences in appearance.

Would be useful to those you frequently upgrade the engine and need to make sure that generated reports (that were working fine before the upgrade) still appear as expected.

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Add Support for Native Excel Conditional Formatting

Since one of the main selling features of Windward is that you can create your reports using Office products which you already know how to do, supporting native conditional formatting in Excel might make more sense to the common user than having to edit Tag properties to accomplish a similar outcome.

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Excel  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Blank page detection

A way to identify if blank pages could appear if a loop that spans multiple pages. Or a way to remove blank pages.

We have been having issues surrounding this and have had many defects raised around blank pages appearing in bulk bills.

Thank you
    Adam

Ticket number for support reference #18122

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Please add method to make DOCX reports read only

Please add method to make DOCX reports read only. The DOCX spec says you can do this by setting the documentProtection tag in settings.xml. In Java you can use the Apache POI library to do this using the XWPFDocument class.

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. gap in msword Output to PDF

msword features the ability to define TC entries in a Table Of Contents; WW does not render TCs in output to PDF, hence there is a truth in rendering gap; there is no acceptable workaround.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Create an output for a two dimensional grid of numbers (e.g. a term and mileage price matrix)

Create an output for a two dimensional grid of numbers (e.g. a term and mileage price matrix)
    The current solution only allows the generation of a table in on direction rather than two

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Windward Version 15  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Allow drag-and-drop of stored procedures from the Data Bin

There is already a Wizard for specifying the parameters that get passed--why not be able to drag in a table that gets pre-populated based on the number of fields returned, the same way that dragging a table or view from the Data Bin works?

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Every time I change a variable name inside a Set tag, AutoTag prompts me if I want to update all tags. Can you please add an option to disab

Every time I change a variable name inside a Set tag, AutoTag prompts me if I want to update all tags. Can you please add an option to disable this prompt? It slows me down when I am trying to make changes to a lot of tags.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Throw exception if document output = Null

If I design a template, and the output results in no content displayed, can Windward send a system-level notification (e.g. throw an exception in the Java engine)?

Ideally, if the output is null, no document would be generated or sent, or Windward would communicate that the document is blank.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. ForEach order='row' - Too Many Queries

When using a ForEach order=row inside another ForEach loop the number of queries performed multiplies e.g. If you have an outer ForEach loop which retrieves 5 entries, and an inner ForEach loop with order=row you get:
    - Call to initial outer ForEach
    - Call to initial outer ForEach
    - Loop over each inner ForEach (5 calls)
    - Call to initial out For Each
    - Look over each inner ForEach (5 calls)
    .. and so on until each entry in the Outer ForEach is resolved.

If you use legacy mode on the inner ForEach you get a single outer foreach call,…

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Include image location in 'bad image' exception messages

When there is a bad image in the report, the exception message does not show the URL of the bad image, which makes it extremely difficult to troubleshoot. This takes us hours and hours to troubleshoot a customers report, whereas if we had the URL of the offending image, we could cut that down to minutes.

Instead, this is what we get:

net.windward.env.DataSourceException: ReadBitmapHeader error; call exception getters for additional information

The underlying exception is:

Caused by: org.apache.commons.imaging.ImageReadException: Couldn't read magic numbers to guess format.
    at org.apache.commons.imaging.Imaging.guessFormat(Imaging.java:268) ~[commons-imaging-1.0-SNAPSHOT.jar:1.0-SNAPSHOT]
    at org.apache.commons.imaging.Imaging.getImageParser(Imaging.java:738) ~[commons-imaging-1.0-SNAPSHOT.jar:1.0-SNAPSHOT]
    at org.apache.commons.imaging.Imaging.getImageInfo(Imaging.java:731) ~[commons-imaging-1.0-SNAPSHOT.jar:1.0-SNAPSHOT]
    at org.apache.commons.imaging.Imaging.getImageInfo(Imaging.java:665) ~[commons-imaging-1.0-SNAPSHOT.jar:1.0-SNAPSHOT]
    at net.windward.env.image.ImageHandler._readBitmapHeader(Unknown Source)…

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Java Engine  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. AutoTag not to process an Excel spreadsheet

Add the possibility in Excel to tell AutoTag not to process a spreadsheet when generating a report as an Excel file.

It would be useful to create a PivotTable in a spreadsheet in the template file and then have it in the generated Excel report.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  2 comments  ·  Windward Version 13  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Merge the printed documents

We have letters printed based on the letter (unique)id so when there are 100 letters for example we do have 100 letters(documents) printed which is great and that is how we anticipate the outcome, along with that we have a mail merge process that merges all 100 individual letters to one document, this way the team which prints the letter will have to send the one file to the machine for printing all 100 letters instead sending 100 different individual letters. I want to check and see if we have any process that merges individual printed letters to one single…

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  1 comment  ·  RESTful Engine  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Windward Beta Program

Feedback and Knowledge Base